I tried to do it at home. The original painting, in the Orangerie, looked like it was painted black first and the colors laid over the black background.

press to zoom

This was all wrong my teacher said, so I had to apply white over al the dark background. "Red is a transparent color" I learned, so the red of the chair would have to be painted over white.

press to zoom

Started working on the roses. The teacher had taught me how to mix in chalk with the oil paint to make it thicker.

press to zoom

Adding more colors. End of the first session (150 minutes).

press to zoom

My teacher said to make the roses bigger.

press to zoom

Added in the red felt. Boy that was easy!

press to zoom

My friend Jim Casper printed out this copy (above) of the picture I took of the original Manet. Thanks, Jim!

press to zoom

Darkened the right side of the picture, putzed around with the roses, added some foliage, then gave up for the day.

press to zoom

Added roses at the bottom to make it more like a real bouquet lying on a chair, darkened the outside of the paper, the shadows inside the right. I am done.

press to zoom
Final product

Click on a picture to expand and read the corresponding description.

GREGORY GREFENSTETTE

Painter Portraitist Artist